November 20, 2018

Reuters Publishes Account of Myanmar Massacre After Journalists’ Arrests

About 700,000 Rohingya have fled across the border into Bangladesh to escape the violence.

In its 4,500-word article, Reuters documented the killings of the 10 Rohingya men in Inn Din village, about 30 miles north of Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine State.

The report identified the victims by name and described them as fishermen, shopkeepers and an Islamic teacher. Two were high school students. They ranged in age from 17 to 45.

At least two of the men were hacked to death by Buddhist villagers, and the rest were shot by Myanmar troops, Reuters reported, citing eyewitnesses who are Buddhist

“One grave for 10 people,” said U Soe Chay, 55, a retired soldier who told Reuters that he had helped to dig the grave and saw the killings. The soldiers shot each man two or three times, he said, but not all died immediately.

Photo
The Reuters journalists U Wa Lone, center front, and U Kyaw Soe Oo, rear left, were escorted by the police from the court in Yangon, Myanmar, last month. Credit Lynn Bo Bo/European Pressphoto Agency

“When they were being buried, some were still making noises,” Reuters quoted him as saying. “Others were already dead.”

In January, the military confirmed that 10 Rohingya men were killed in Inn Din by villagers and soldiers. It said the men were terrorists who had attacked security forces, and that the soldiers had decided to kill them because intense fighting made it impossible to keep them in custody. The army said it would take action against those involved.

U Zaw Htay, a government spokesman, told Reuters, “We are not denying the allegations about violations of human rights.”

Newsletter Sign Up

Continue reading the main story

He added, “If we found the evidence is true and the violations are there, we will take the necessary action according to our existing law.”

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

Reuters said its report was based on scores of interviews with Rakhine Buddhist villagers, soldiers, paramilitary police officers, Rohingya Muslims and local administrators.

The villagers told Reuters that the military and the paramilitary police had organized Buddhist residents of Inn Din and at least two other villages to set fire to Rohingya homes, and that Buddhist villagers had participated in the killings of Rohingya in the area.

The government has accused Rohingya insurgents of burning the homes themselves.

Citing unidentified sources, the report said that an order to clear Inn Din had been passed down the military chain of command and that security forces wore civilian clothes to avoid being detected during raids.

Members of the paramilitary police looted Rohingya property, including motorcycles and cows, some of which were later taken by the military, Reuters reported.

None of the 6,000 Rohingya who once lived in Inn Din were still there by October.

The photographs of the 10 victims before and after the killings were provided by a Buddhist village elder who said he did not want to see the events repeated.

Mr. Wa Lone and Mr. Kyaw Soe Oo, the two journalists being held by the Myanmar authorities, had done extensive reporting on the massacre before they were arrested on Dec. 12. Reuters said Mr. Wa Lone had taken some photographs of the mass grave.

Human rights groups have accused the police of entrapping the two journalists by handing them documents. One relative said the two men had been seized so quickly that they did not have a chance to examine the documents.

Continue reading the main story

Article source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/world/asia/reuters-myanmar-massacre-rohingya.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Speak Your Mind